Sunday, October 26, 2008

what i've learned from tragedies

Before we studied tragedies this year I never enjoyed reading them because they always left me feeling sad and depressed. Now after learning about catharsis I see how feeling the emotions of the tragic hero helps me work through my own emotions. I actually appreciate tragedies more because of that function. I feel much more emotionally satisfied accompanying the protagonist on their rise and inevitable crash and burn than i do with a character whose emotional journey is the equivalent of crawling up and down a mole mound and then back up again.
This purging also took place as we talked about the dark truths of Christianity. It forced me to think and work through them and see that I can't just ignore the hard parts of being a Christian. Christianity isn't all butterflies and teacups and I have to remember these aspects because they are real and people have to face them. At the same time I can rest in knowing that God is sovereign and that he is always faithful.

No comments: